Personal, Post-Surgery

Post-Cochlear Implant Surgery Day 6: How I’m Recovering

Well it’s been 6 days since I received my cochlear implant at Jefferson University Hospital. The first few days were pretty hard but I’m slowly starting to get better. During the first 4 days I had a lot of pain and dizziness. Sleeping was very important and I would take a nap about every two hours. I didn’t do much  more than sleep and read.

Larry first saw me last Wednesday (the 19th). That wasn’t one of my best days. I tried to do too much at once between getting a bath, brushing my teeth, getting dressed, eating, etc. It can be hard to remember to do things slowly after surgery. I took on a  bit too much and got very dizzy and a little sick. I was asleep when he first came over but quickly woke up. He stayed for about an hour until I started to drift off again.He brought me some flowers and a Spongebob beanie and card to make me feel better. As messed up as I looked and was he still told me I looked pretty and made me feel  better. He’s the best.


My boyfriend is the best….

After Wednesday I knew I had to really rest and take it easy. I had intended on going back to work on Thursday, but I knew I wasn’t quite ready yet so I took off for the rest of the week. My boss understood.

On Thursday I got a package from Advanced Bionics…it was the Melody doll I had ordered just the day before! I was very impressed to have gotten in less than 24 hours after ordering it. That gives me a lot more faith and confidence in the Advanced Bionics brand. I trust that if my processor ever goes down or needs maintenance/repair, they’ll be able to fix it or ship me a new part of whatever as soon as possible. Definitely a good feeling!


This is Melody. She is one of the mascots for Advanced Bionics, which is the brand of my cochlear implant. She has two cochlear implants (bilaterial).

Each day the more I slept and rested the better I felt. But some days were still hard. On Friday I got a little bummed because I was tired of not being able to do anything. Tired of not being able to go out, stay awake for long periods of time, wash my hair, or chew my food. But everyone just kind of reminded me that this is the hard part and it’s temporary. Soon I’ll be healed and activated and it will all be worth it!

Larry came over again on Saturday. It was another short visit since I started getting sleepy and needed to rest, but still longer than Wednesday’s visit. Obviously I couldn’t go out anywhere with him and with limited hearing movies wasn’t something I was interested in. I remembered I had a retro nintendo system so I hooked that up so that we could play Super Mario World. I was surprised to learn he’s never played it before! I grew up playing this game with my sister so it’s very familiar to me. He needed a little bit of practice but he’s starting to get the hang of it. When we play together as a team we do well. We’ve already gotten to about level 9 — the second castle. We’ll continue next time he comes over. It’s another classic example of how we work well as a team together. We always were playing on the same team — Awesome Sauce and Apple Sauce — numbers 75 and 13. 😉

team members

A relationship is made up of two teammates playing on the same team with the same goals in mind.

Today I’m just going to take it really easy in preparation for work tomorrow. Just looking at stuff on my laptop (Online Christmas window shopping basically lol), reading, and if they air it, watching the Patriots game at 1. And of course sleeping a lot. I’m working from home so work will be a little easier for me, but after being out for a full week I’m expecting at least 700 emails and a whole lot of craziness. Taking off on Tuesday to get my stitches out, working a half day on Wednesday to meet with an audiologist, and being off Thursday and Friday for the holiday probably won’t make it much easier, but I’ll do my best. That’s all I can do, right? Plus soon I’ll be activated and it will be a whole new world for me and work should be better for me. :).

I still don’t have a date for my activation yet but I’m expecting to get that at my appointment on either Tuesday or Wednesday…so stay tuned for that! At this point one of the things I’m most looking forward to though is finding out the date for when I be allowed to wash my hair lol. I believe that will be the day after the stitches come out but I’m not real sure. I’m not exactly a fan of the greasy hair look lol. My mom has been washing my hair with a wash cloth which I am very grateful for and it’s better than nothing…but still not the best solution in the world lol. When I can really wash it I’m going to like wash it 100xs with multiple shampoos and conditioners I swear lol.

Well that’s about it for now. I’ll update later this week with news from my appointments, so stay tuned for those updates!

1 thought on “Post-Cochlear Implant Surgery Day 6: How I’m Recovering”

Leave a Reply